Our stone-ground polenta and heirloom beans are combined into one delicious dish with this recipe.
Polenta with Beans & Peppers
Polenta with Beans and Peppers
- 4 tablespoons olive oil divided into 2 tablespoon portions
- ¾ cup yellow onion finely chopped
- ¾ cup fresh mushrooms sliced thin
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup polenta grits
- 2 cups stewed tomatoes drained
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil chopped, or 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¾ cup Parmesan cheese shredded; divided into ½ cup and ¼ cup portions
- 1 large orange bell pepper cut in strips
- 1 large yellow bell pepper cut in strips
- 1 large red bell pepper cut in strips
- 3 cups cooked Painted Lady beans or Black Turtle beans cooked without salt
- In large saucepan, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat. Add onions and mushrooms. Sauté until onions are translucent, approximately 4-5 minutes.
- Reduce heat. Add garlic and sauté 1-2 minutes.
- Turn heat to high. Add chicken broth. Bring to a boil.
- Gradually add cornmeal while whisking continuously. Once all cornmeal is added, reduce heat to low.
- Stir in sun dried tomato and basil. Cook and stir 10 minutes or until thick and creamy.
- Remove from heat. Add butter and pepper. Stir until butter is melted.
- Add ½ cup Parmesan cheese. Stir until cheese is melted.
- Pour into 9 x 13 pan lined with parchment paper. Refrigerate to cool completely.
- Sauté orange, yellow and red bell pepper strips in skillet using remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil. Once pepper strips are tender, add beans and stir until beans are warm. Remove from heat and cover to keep warm.
- Once polenta is cool, cut into 6 pieces. Place on ungreased baking sheet. Broil 4 inches from heat for 5 minutes. Turn and broil 5-6 minutes longer or until heated through.
- Top polenta slices with bell pepper and bean mixture. Sprinkle with ¼ cup Parmesan cheese.