A classic baked bean recipe to throw in your slow-cooker. Try this with Jacob’s Cattle, Arikara Yellow, Painted Lady beans, or a variety of others!
Classic Baked Beans
Shady Side Farm Classic Baked Beans
- 1-1/2 # dry beans assorted varieties, cooked separately
- 2 medium onions diced
- 1 cup brown sugar a bit more if you have a sweet tooth
- 1/2-3/4 cup ketchup
- 2 tsp. mustard
- 1 TBSP. vinegar
- 1/2 lb. raw bacon chopped into small pieces (optional)
- Follow cooking instructions for beans; reserve 2 cups of the cooking water.
- Put beans and reserved cooking water in slow cooker.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Cook for 6-8 hours on low, stirring beans from time to time. Add water or remove cover or adjust heat of crock pot depending on how the beans are coming along. May also be baked in traditional bean pot in the oven for 18-24 hours on very low heat. Keep an eye on it.