Red Beans & Rice
- 2 c. dry Jacob's Cattle or Spanish Tolosana beans about 3/4 lbs.
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp. garlic powder or a couple cloves of fresh garlic minced
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. each black pepper dried thyme, dried basil and dried parsley
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 ham hook or ham bone or 1 lb. link sausage cut in chunks
- Soak beans (see package directions), drain and place in a 5 or 6-quart pot. Add the onion, meat, 3 c. water and the spices. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer gently for 1-2 hours, or until the beans are tender. if using a hock or bone, remove and add any meat back to the beans and discard the bone. Remove the bay leaf and keep the beans warm. Prepare rice and ladle beans over rice. Serve with hot sauce, if desired. May be served over cornbread instead of rice.