It’s hot today! And we’re facing a whole week of HOT. At times like this, I remember how many times people have said to me that beans are a winter food. They’re thinking soups and stews, and I don’t blame them. So yummy! Great comfort food on a cold winter day.
But let me tell you a secret–beans are not just a winter food. Feel free to cook a bunch up on your stovetop or in your instant pot and freeze them for later use. No sense in heating up the kitchen any more than you have to. But if you freeze 1-1/2 cups of cooked beans (either with or without the bean broth–your choice), it’s like having a can of beans ready to go later, when you need them. So plan ahead. Cook once and eat twice or three times.
This summer salad has just six ingredients. So simple! We made this with Fort Portal Jade beans, but you could use any bean that holds its shape well: Arikara Yellow, Calypso, Hidatsa Red, Jacob’s Cattle, Jacob’s Cattle Gold, Painted Lady, Painted Pony, Spanish Tolosana, Valentine, Yellow Indian Woman, or Zebra. Scroll down to get the recipe–just six ingredients.
Eat well and stay cool! It doesn’t have to be one or the other, you know…
Heirloom Bean and Feta Salad
- 1/2 lb. Fort Portal Jade or Painted Pony beans, cooked
- 1/2 red onion, sliced thin
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1-2 lemons, juiced
- salt to taste
- 2 oz. feta cheese
- Follow soaking and cooking instructions for beans.
- While beans are cooking, clean and slice onion. When beans are finished cooking, drain them and drizzle with olive oil and lemon juice.
- Top with feta cheese and sliced onion.
- Serve warm, or refrigerate to eat cold later.