Jacob's Cattle Beans Soup
- Jacob's Cattle Bean Soup
- 1/2 lb. Jacob's Cattle Beans
- 1/2 lb. of bacon, cut into small bite sized pieces
- 1/2 to 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 to 1 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 to 1 cup chopped carrots
- 2 Tbsp. minced garlic
- 2 tsp. dried, crumbled sage or 2 Tbsp. fresh, separated
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- Adjust all amounts to your taste. You can add more or less of any of the ingredients and have an excellent soup.
- Transfer beans and their soaking liquid to a medium saucepan and bring to boil over medium—high heat. Add water to cover beans by 1 inch if necessary. Reduce heat to low and simmer gently, partially covered, until beans just soften; about 15 to 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook bacon in a large skillet, over medium heat, until crisp, about 5-7 minutes. Remove bacon and crumble.
- Reduce heat under skillet to low and add the onions, celery, carrot, garlic and 1 tsp./Tbsp. of sage. Add a little pepper. Saute, uncovered, over low heat, very slowly, for about 20 minutes. Do not brown vegetables.
- Add vegetables to the beans, with the bacon. Simmer, partially covered, until beans are tender and cooking liquid has thickened, about 45 minutes to an hour. During the final 5 minutes of cooking, add the remaining 1 tsp./Tbsp. of sage and adjust seasonings. Enjoy!
- -—Adapted by Amy Oak from Jacob's Cattle Beans with Pancetta and Sage, from Heirloom Beans, by Steve Sando and Vanessa Barrington.
Copyright Shady Side Farm 2016